Tuesday, February 15, 2011

High Buns Mean No Dick?


So I had a client last week who I was doing personal styling with and when we met up the 1st thing she let me know was “I’m going to London to see my boyfriend and so I want to dress for a man, not for women”. Which basically means "I want to look hot, not cool" and she gave me a list of things she would never wear which included anything too loose or oversized, anything vintage and DEFINATELY no high buns! Then it got me thinking that half the things I wear fitted into those categories, which may explain my singledom... Anyway, press the rewind button and I remember my 1st week in fashion school and having a conversation with my friend about struggling in the morning when getting ready as some days you want to look ohmygod hot or other days just frikkin’ wack wicked. It’s a struggle let me tell you, to balance things you think are aaamazing, but makes males vom, with just the right amount of sexiness.


*this is probably why I keep myself tanned and wear heels with everything :)
So after having this client who had Gisele like locks, and left looking sexy as hell, I decided to look at one of this season’s biggest trends and see how they fair up with the male population. Some refer to them as High buns or the top knot or as a friend so eloquently put it “when someone pops a squat on a girls head”... well you say potaatoes I say pootatoes, you know how the rest goes.

High buns have always been a standard “model off duty look” but skyrocketed when it started to appear on some of runways most popular shows like Marc Jacobs, Lanvin and Nina Ricci and as we all want to look like our favourite girls it started to trickle down so that you now can’t throw a rock in a room and not hit a fashionista’s top knot. We love them, and it’s hard not to when Abbey Lee, Jesse Hart, Freja Erichsen and other beautiful girls we adore are rocking them. After asking what few STRAIGHT males I know, the general consensus wasn’t good. One of the guys said “it looks like the girl isn’t trying, like she can’t be bothered and so she has just tied it all up” geeee little do they know that amounts of bobby pins that go into making this look work!! Messy isn't messy these days, what messy is is standing infront of the mirror for 10 minutes and pulling strand by strand of hair out, hoping to get the perfect 'messy' look.
Another point of view was “the reason these models look hot with high buns is because they are models, anything looks good on them”, my beef with that is why should we suffer by denying ourselves top knots because we are not as genetically blessed? And a personal fav was "looks like it's sumo style"...ummm do you see these hot biatches wearing napies and flashing there morbidly obese bootys? I think not...
There are variations to this do, such as the super tight pulled back thin but tall bun...









Or a pulled back slightly loosely but with a bigger bun...








Then there is the outta control bun...






After giving you a look into the high bun I wanted to tell you another story... About a boy I knew in high school who we all thought was incredibly hot. After graduating I remember looking at photos of him and thinking, what the hell was I thinking? Then bumping into him a couple of year back he still looked the same and I still found him attractive and then I realised he wasn’t that physically hot it was his confidence that made him sooo attractive. He wasn’t arrogant, just confident and comfortable in himself. So the point I wanted to come back to ladies is that we all have our perceptions of what looks hot and what doesn’t  but I cannot stress this point enough, if you wear your look with confidence and the right amount of attitude it works. So don't dress to make men want you or to make other girls jealous, dress for yourself and work that turd on your head with  leather pants and sky high pumps like there’s no tomorrow.

1 comment: